Pre-Korea Preconceptions

In 17 days I'll be in Asia for the very first time.

As such, I've been discussing this with the student who will be hosting me. I've entrusted her with navigating me through the annals of Korean culture and told her I'd try to experience as much as possible before I move there.

Her response?

I will be eating this:

Click!

Naturally, I asked some other Korean students about it. I polled them on whether they'd eaten it. Most of them had.

The responses:

My advisee: *cringes* "I don't like it, but maybe you will. It's so chewy. And weird."

later...

My advisee's brother: "Oh, that's gooood. I like it, you know? You must chew fast and hard."

Me: "So it doesn't move in my mouth?"

Advisee's brother: "Yeah, yeah, exactly."

*shudder*

Now that I am sure she will take advantage of my intrepid nature, I am a bit apprehensive.

Cooked octopus? Absolutely. Bring it. I'd love to eat a cunning hunter like that and wait and see if it increases my IQ.

Octopus still squirming on my plate, however? "Aniyo" (Korean for 'no', which for this situation, appropriately rhymes with the English expression, "F**k no!")

I am excited about the food. Truly. I have this preconceived notion that I'll eat and enjoy everything, which may not be the case. Some of their dishes are mind numbingly spicy and while my mouth can manhandle the hot, I am not so sure about my stomach. My stomach may be cursing my taste buds all the way to the toilet. What's worse is that I may not be able to find antacids with ease. I should probably bring some with me.

The other week in school, the kids in my house and I had an unofficial Korean ramen eating contest. A couple of each made a packet of super spicy Shin Ramyeon and sat down slurping. We went by who could sweat the least. It was great, not only because I won this contest by not sweating at all, but also because the one Korean participant lost.

Ha!

Maybe I'll fare eating the fare just fine after all.

0 comments: